M’s offer isn’t enough to tempt Washburn into a return
PEORIA, Ariz. – The Mariners don’t seem to be any closer to adding left-handed starting pitcher Jarrod Washburn to their roster.
The club has made Washburn an offer, AOL FanHouse first reported Wednesday, but Washburn hasn’t accepted their bid.
The deal was for less than the package offered to another veteran lefty starter, Erik Bedard – $8.5 million, including about $7 million in possible incentives. Bedard, who was coming off surgery when the deal was struck, will begin the 2010 season on the disabled list.
The Mariners are looking for a starter because yet another lefty, Cliff Lee, will start the season on the disabled list because of abdominal muscle strains that will see him miss a minimum of a couple of weeks of April.
Other than the team’s ace, Felix Hernandez, the team’s other four starting pitchers – Ian Snell, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Doug Fister and Jason Vargas – are just 61-73 combined over the course of their careers.
Washburn was a Mariner until the last week of July, when he was traded to Detroit, with the Tigers looking for help down the stretch. During his fourth Seattle season, Washburn was 8-6 record, and his 2.64 ERA ranked in the American League’s top 10.
After a hiatus between the two sides, Mariner general manager Jack Zduriencik and Washburn’s agent, Scott Boras, talks have taken place recently, sources said, and the current offer came out of those talks.
Washburn has said repeatedly he wants to pitch again in Seattle, but it seems unlikely that he would accept less money than Bedard, whose contribution in 2009 was less.
John Hickey is a national baseball writer for AOL FanHouse (www.fanhouse.com). Twitter: @JHickey3